Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cries of joy...

Half awake and more than a little grouchy I sat rocking my baby. It was time for his early morning bottle. The 3:00 AM bottle to be exact! This is the hour I dread. He is gassy, sleepy, hungry and cranky. I don't know who hates this feeding worse him or me.

That's when it all came into focus. I adjusted my glasses as I consoled him. His tiny toes were peeking out from under his blanket. They weren't the same little toes I gazed at and counted in the hospital nursery. They were longer than I remembered. It seemed that the little numbs had grown overnight. Every digit was recognizable.

That moment made my entire world stop. It turned his endless screams into joyful noise. The noise of a baby... my baby. The noise I will only experience once in a life time. In that split second I realized that this time will pass quickly. I acknowledged that I need to treasure every minute of this experience before it's lost forever. There will be good days and bad ones but all his cries are joyful ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...oh how sweet, I love the how you captured the moment.

Mark said...

That was beautiful and so true. And it was perfect how you turned a 3a.m. feeding into a wonderful moment. m.
p.s. My mom is all ga-ga over your boy. She's watching him grow too.