Monday, December 29, 2008

Getting to know us... Profile Excerpts - Brandon's thoughts about adoption


Brandon and Cassandra (Brandon's Birth Mother)


Dear Readers,

This excerpt was taken directly from our profile that is shared with potential Birth Mothers. I hope you enjoy my story.

Brandon's thoughts...

I am a direct product of Adoption. At birth I was relinquished and adopted by a loving family. As a child I never questioned my existence or felt different from my adopted parents or siblings. My adopted family supported and cared for me. I was a child who was loved and doted upon by everyone.

It was not until I was around the age of 27 that I decided to search for my Birth Mother. The process was a long journey that tapped into many untouched feelings. It also opened my eyes to the emotions a Birth Mother faces and the complicated lifelong decision she makes when placing her child for adoption.

I am fortunate to have known my Birth Mother. Unfortunately, she died in 2001. She lived with Jose and me during the last year of her life as she battled cancer. It was a tragic ending but an experience that was life changing.

My reunion led me to help other adopted adults. In total I assisted with twelve successful searches. They were all joyful but different in many ways. The one common thread among the Birth Mothers I found was their longing to know if their child had been well cared for and loved.

The process of finding my Birth Mother brought me many joys. I learned about her past and mine. I also learned that a part of my Birth Mother lives within me. She was my creator and gave me the things that nurturing alone can not provide. The reunion process also provided me with the knowledge that I could not have become the person I am today without the love and mentoring my adoptive parents provided.

Being adopted gives me an unusual perspective as I proceed through the process of being matched with a Birth Mother and her child. I know that a Birth Mother is an integral part of the adoption process and will remain part of the process for our child's entire life.

No comments: